Before you pack your car and hit the road for your next driving trip, we recommend conducting a pre-vehicle inspection to help avoid the inconvenience and potential safety hazards of breaking down miles away from home. A pre-trip vehicle inspection tips from AutoMekanika includes:
• Schedule a tune-up to help the engine deliver the best balance of power and fuel economy, and produce the lowest level of emissions.
• Check the brake system and make sure the battery connection is clean, tight and corrosion-free.
• Check the hoses and belts, which can become cracked, brittle, frayed, loose or show signs of excessive wear. These are critical to the proper functioning of the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering and the cooling system.
• Check the tires, including tire pressure and tread depth. Under inflated tires reduce a vehicle’s fuel economy and uneven wear indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tires should also be checked for bulges and bald spots.
• Check to make sure all fluid levels are at proper operating levels. This should include oil, power steering, radiator coolant, transmission, brake fluid, and windshield washer fluid.